Arlington, MA – Small House, Big Improvement
Rearranging the location of the kitchen and bath created a lovely entertainment area for family and friends.
- Old cabinets that do not go to the ceiling
- Very limited counter space
- Kitchen window opened directly to the neighbor’s kitchen only 10 feet away
- Zero function, zero organization
- Bathroom had a lovely view of back yard
- Kitchen was cramped, with no pantry
- There was no front hall coat closet
- Moved the kitchen to the back of the house, creating a lovely wide view of the backyard
- Ceiling was 9 feet high allowing us to stagger the heights of the wall cabinets, increasing both storage and interest
- Opened the kitchen to the dining room and added informal countertop seating
- Fabulous functionality and storage from 7 feet of tall pantry cabinets, plus five sets of large drawers in the base cabinets – no more bending to reach pots and pans
- Exciting corner range adds visual interest when looking in from the dining room
- Relocated the bathroom to the front of the house which also created the space for a coat closet
In summary – By thinking out of the box, and actually moving the kitchen and the bath, we created a lovely space with twice the storage. Great functional, lifestyle and visual benefits to this existing home!